- General information about thyroid-stimulating hormone, in conjunction with T3 and T4
- Rate the content of TSH in women depending on age
- In which cases should be tested for TSH?
- The main reasons for the increasing levels of thyrotropin and approach to treatment
- The factors of decrease of TSH level in a woman's body
- How to determine the level of the hormone thyrotropin?
Hormones – what is it? They represent the most important substance involved in the regulation of various processes that exchange substances and reproduction, and psycho-emotional state of a person. TSH in women is thyroid stimulating hormone which indicators can indicate changes occurring in the body.
General information about thyroid-stimulating hormone, in conjunction with T3 and T4
TSH – what means this abbreviation? Thyroid-stimulating hormone, or thyrotropin is a key regulator that controls the thyroid gland. She is responsible for the production of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The latter, in turn, are responsible for the activity of the reproductive system, metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates functionality of the heart muscle and the functioning of blood vessels.
TSH together with T3 and T4, promotes the production of glucose, involved in heat exchange, controls the process of development of red blood cells.
Feature of thyroid-stimulating hormone is that the levels ranges and has a daily character. The higher its value is fixed to 3 am and from 9 am to 6 PM, this rate decreases.
Thyrotropin is produced by the pituitary gland located in the brain. The rate of thyroid hormones in women and men has different standards, and in different ages are different.
Important! The norm of T3 and T4 in TSH for women depends on their age. If the indicator deviates from the normal TSH level, it may indicate diseases of the adrenal or of the pituitary gland, causing the thyroid gland begins to function properly. Fluctuations in TSH and a deviation from the norm also occur during periods of hormonal instability during pregnancy, lactation period and menopause.
Rate the content of TSH in women depending on age
Acceptable TSH levels in women – a statistic that directly depends on age, hormonal status, presence of acquired or congenital pathologies. For 20 years, 40 years, 50 years, the accepted value is different. To determine TSH normal women by age, to help table the permissible limits for different ranges of ages and in pregnancy.
|Age/hormonal status||Acceptable norms|
From 14 to 25 years
From 25 to 50 years
0A 4 – 4,0 mkme/ml
The period of gestation
0,2 – 3,5 mIU/l (depending on the pregnancy)
It should be noted that, as aging, thyroid function is reduced, so among women after 50 years (mostly at age 60-70 years) the lower limit of the rate of TSH is 0.4 mkme/ml, the top – 10 mkme/ml.
Fluctuation TSH norms associated with various need of this hormone at different stages of life.
In addition to TSH, you also need to consider rates of T3 and thyroxine (T4). The norm for the first of about 3.5 – 0,8 mkme/ml, T3 free – 2,62-of 5.69 pmol/L.
Norma T4 women – 0,8-1,8 mkme/ml, T4 free – 9-19 pmol/L.
This hormone thyroxine T4, plays an important role in sexual development girls. Its level affects the synthesis of sex hormones.
If the TSH is lowered, the girls observed the following deviations:
- the slowing of the process of puberty;
- delay the onset of menstruation;
- the growth of the breast slows down;
- the size of the clitoris and labia are smaller;
- no natural interest in sex.
When girls under 8 years old note the prolonged increase in TSH, puberty occurs prematurely. This is manifested in the increase of mammary glands at an early age, early onset of menstruation and meet the hairs of the armpits and the pubic area.
Please note! In women with a pregnancy rate of hormone thyrotropin differs from the data specified in the table. In each term, its metrics are changing:
- in the first trimester indicator TSH is in the range of 0.1-0.4 mkme/ml;
- in the second – 0,2-2,8 mkme/ml;
- in the third – from 0.4 to 3.5 mkme/ml.
During the examination the specialists pay special attention to the change of hormones TSH and T4, T3. We recommend that you regularly check the level during pregnancy, after the age of 40 years (before menopause), and after 60 years.
In which cases should be tested for TSH?
Knowing what does TSH need to be aware of the importance of the timely conduct hormonal studies to women's health in a variety of life and its reproductive potential.
Analysis for blood levels in women TSH should be taken if there are some variations:
- psychological and neurological disorders: depression in women and men sleep disturbances, irritability, apathy, wanton aggression;
- constant lethargy and weakness;
- decreased libido;
- pain in the throat;
- active hair loss down to baldness;
- the inability to conceive for a long period of time;
- amenorrhea – absence of menstruation for several menstrual cycles;
- temperatures often drop below 36 degrees;
- the weight gain in the absence of appetite;
- increased appetite, which is difficult to control;
- permanent, not passing headaches;
- frequent diarrhea;
- the thyroid gland contains seals;
- disruption of muscles;
- fine tremor all over the body, especially in the upper extremities.
Analysis of TSH adult women carried out in the following cases:
- if you suspect you have an autoimmune diseases;
- when planning a pregnancy in order to prevent genetic abnormalities in children;
- in the course of treatment of some diseases to monitor the effectiveness of interventions;
- if it was previously detected malfunction of the thyroid gland as a routine examination.
As a result of the studies, the expert can detect that the indicators of the hormone TSH are normal, raised or lowered. Deviation affect the female reproductive system and its General condition.
The main reasons for the increasing levels of thyrotropin and approach to treatment
If women's TSH is elevated, what does that mean? Elevated TSH in women is the result of a number of pathological disorders in the internal organs. These include:
- neoplastic processes involving the pituitary gland;
- adrenal insufficiency;
- damage to the thyroid tumor, trauma, radiation;
- preeclampsia is a complication of the flow of the second half of pregnancy characterized by the appearance of protein in the urine, increase in blood pressurehidden and visible swelling.
Other factors which influenced increases the concentration of thyroid-stimulating hormone TSH, include the following:
- the lack of iodine in the body;
- excessive exercise;
- surgical intervention, associated with the thyroid gland;
- taking certain drugs – neuroleptics, antiemetics and anticonvulsants;
- mental disorders;
- the operation associated with the removal of the gallbladder;
- genetic predisposition.
If the allowable rate of TSH in women are enhanced, you experience the following symptoms:
- failure of the menstrual cycle, scanty discharge, accompanied by pain, uterine bleeding, lack of menstruation;
- a feeling of coldness, chill;
- cardiac rhythm slows down to a rate less than 55 beats per minute;
- perceptible increase in weight;
- disruption of the functioning of the digestive system, which manifests itself in constipation, slow emptying of the stomach;
- swelling of the eyelids, lips, extremities;
- weakness of the muscles.
Please note! In the case where a high level of thyrotropin is associated with the pituitary adenoma, there are specific symptoms – eye drops, appear regular pain in the head, localized in the temporal region, in the field of view appears dark or clear spots.
If thyroid stimulating hormone is present at a concentration exceeding the target of 4 mkme/ml, shows a combination therapy that includes intake of potassium iodide and thyroid hormone.
Also, if elevated TSH, prescribed diet, the observance of which would restore the balance of hormones, to saturate the organism with such substances as manganese, selenium and cobalt – they contribute to the absorption of iodine. When inflated rate required a properly organized system of power is a guarantee of recovery of metabolic processes.
The factors of decrease of TSH level in a woman's body
If TSH in women is lowered, it may indicate:
- benign tumor affecting the thyroid glands;
- damage to the pituitary, triggered by mechanical action;
- graves ' disease;
- hypothalamic-pituitary failure;
- Plummer's disease.
In addition, TSH may be elevated due to emotional strain, stress and energy deficit.
In conditions where a valid value of the hormone TSH is lowered, observe the following manifestations:
- sudden unexplained weight loss;
- the fragility of bone tissue, resulting in bone pain, frequent fractures, multiple caries;
- palpitations, accompanied by an increase in arterial pressure;
- sensation of sand in eyes;
- brittle nails and slow their growth;
- sweating and feeling of heat;
- increased appetite;
- a quick change of mood;
- frequent stools;
- attacks of weakness of certain muscles of the body and limbs.
Low TSH require treatment. The doctor usually prescribes the intake of drugs that contain thyroid-stimulating hormone at different doses. In the course of treatment is recommended to exclude from a diet rich in fat and cholesterol foods, increase the intake of vegetables.
How to determine the level of the hormone thyrotropin?
The causes and consequences of changes in normal levels of TSH is an important issue when considering this problem. Violation may lead to such complications as infertility, spontaneous abortion, fetal abnormalities, acquired during intrauterine development, premature detachment of the placenta.
To determine whether TSH level in women is normal, it is necessary to pass a special test. Before this diagnostic procedure are required to read the rules on how to pass the analysis to determine the figures of TSH and T4 free and T3.
- To obtain a quality result, women need to donate blood in the morning, from 8 to 12 hours as the largest number of hormone produced in this period;
- it is desirable to conduct the test on an empty stomach, and two days before him, to give up fatty foods;
- a few days before the procedure is recommended to abandon the use of alcoholic beverages, and also Smoking;
- two days before the test should not eat products containing steroid and thyroid hormones;
- before diagnosis should refrain from emotional stress.
Test on figures of TSH and T4 free and T3 will help to identify diseases which pose a serious threat to a full woman's life. It is crucial to undergo this procedure for pregnant women, as well as those who have a family history of hormonal disorders. This rule also swinging women after 50 years, which, according to the aging of the body, slow all internal processes. Raised or lowered hormone TSH in women in almost all cases shows deviations in work of internal organs.
Knowing, is responsible for what in women thyroid-stimulating hormone, you must realize the importance of timely diagnostics of the level detect abnormalities and their treatment. The normal TSH levels in women by age is different, due to changes in the needs it for life. To determine whether these indicators are normal, can only be a specialist with the test T3 T4 TSH normal women.